Saturday, July 25, 2009

Special Post - To All Who Have Served

There's trading ... and then there's life.

At this end, yesterday was largely about life as my wife called me at about 10:30am and I could immediately sense she was holding back the tears. For news around our small community was spreading fast that Nicholas Xiarhos -- one of our town's most beloved and highly regarded youth, and close friend of my older daughter -- had unfortunately joined those who have sacrificed their lives in service of our country.

And at that point, everything related to trading and wrapping up my other business came to an immediate halt as I rushed to break the news to my daughter.

Yes, as I mentioned in Thursday's post, this is a trading diary. Yet as the top caption has always read, this diary is also a reflection of life's journey as they are so often intertwined. And yesterday reminded me of the gift we've all been given -- especially in this country where we're free to dream and then live out those dreams -- knowing we're protected by the safety net comprised of those who are willing to put their lives on the line.

Over the years, I've always tried to "put my money where my mouth is" and walk the talk. That will never compare to those who instead put their lives on the line, and who walk a far more dangerous and inspiring path.

May God bless Nicholas' family, and all those who are currently serving or who have served.

Look for a very unique "The Weekend Trader" video by noon E.T.